Pearls & Irritations advises the sad news that Albert Mispel, who was instrumental in getting this blog started (and indeed, suggested its name) has passed away. Albert had an exciting life during which he taught school in New Guinea, was a core member of the Glebe Society fighting expressways during the 1970s and, later in life, became a computer programmer/web designer. He was enthusiastic about all progressive causes. He provided the technical know-how to get this blog up and running five years ago, and supported it thereafter. He believed in the ‘cause’. The first blog password was ‘November 1975’. With many others, he would never forget the Whitlam dismissal. Albert’s death is mourned by his wife, Kathy, two daughters, Jo and Madeleine, and his grandchildren. He will be sadly missed. Vale Albert.
Subscribe to pearls and irritations (we have had some issues, now fixed, so please subscribe again)
Most viewed recently
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- STEPHANIE DOWRICK. Issues of Integrity, Not Sex.
- BERNARD KEANE. Joyce has always been a dud and should never have been deputy PM.
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. Has the ABC buckled to PM Malcolm Turnbull by removing critical ‘analysis’ of the claimed benefits of corporate tax cuts?
- MICHAEL KEATING. Trickle down economics and the Emma Alberici article.
- BOB CARR. Whitlam had it easier on China policy 22 February 2018
- JOHN DWYER. The curse of political mediocrity; The informed, bold, courageous policies that Australia needs in health are nowhere to be seen. (Part 2 of 3) 22 February 2018
- GREGORY MCCARTHY. Australia’s iron(ic) curtain hurting China ties 22 February 2018
- GARY JOHNSTON. The Future Submarine: a technical problem 22 February 2018
- RANALD MACDONALD. Stop the presses. 21 February 2018
- Arts and Reviews (35)
- Defence/Security (709)
- Economy (928)
- Education (176)
- Environment and climate (257)
- Health (439)
- Housing (53)
- Human Rights (376)
- Indigenous affairs (54)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (125)
- International Affairs (1,217)
- Asia (64)
- Links (8)
- Media (458)
- NBN (71)
- Politics (2,185)
- Refugees, Immigration (511)
- Religion and Faith (434)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (58)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (43)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (115)