Pearls & Irritations advises the sad news that Albert Mispel, who was instrumental in getting this blog started (and indeed, suggested its name) has passed away. Albert had an exciting life during which he taught school in New Guinea, was a core member of the Glebe Society fighting expressways during the 1970s and, later in life, became a computer programmer/web designer. He was enthusiastic about all progressive causes. He provided the technical know-how to get this blog up and running five years ago, and supported it thereafter. He believed in the ‘cause’. The first blog password was ‘November 1975’. With many others, he would never forget the Whitlam dismissal. Albert’s death is mourned by his wife, Kathy, two daughters, Jo and Madeleine, and his grandchildren. He will be sadly missed. Vale Albert.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- RICHARD FLANAGAN. Australians in WWI didn’t die for Australia. They died for Britain. (Part 1 of 2)
- JOHN MENADUE. The Coalition and media myth about stopping the boats.
- EDMUND CAMPION. On Cardinal Gilroy At The Sydney Institute.
- MICHAEL PASCOE. The banking royal commission – it’s even worse than it looks
- IAN DUNLOP. The Monash Forum – of Coal & Horses.
- MARGARET O’CONNOR. Institutional reform following the Royal Commission on child sex abuse is women’s work. 26 April 2018
- RICHARD BUTLER. Admiral Harris is not coming: does it matter? 26 April 2018
- MACK WILLIAMS. North Korea – it’s summit time! 26 April 2018
- ELIZA BERLAGE. Our flailing aid created a Pacific problem. 26 April 2018
- Media Watch. How News Corp and The Australian mislead us on climate change. 26 April 2018
- Arts and Reviews (36)
- Defence/Security (743)
- Economy (966)
- Education (185)
- Environment and climate (295)
- Health (470)
- Housing (59)
- Human Rights (386)
- Indigenous affairs (57)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (135)
- International Affairs (1,310)
- Asia (94)
- Links (10)
- Media (471)
- NBN (73)
- Politics (2,269)
- Refugees, Immigration (520)
- Religion and Faith (451)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (59)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (51)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (142)