Pearls & Irritations advises the sad news that Albert Mispel, who was instrumental in getting this blog started (and indeed, suggested its name) has passed away. Albert had an exciting life during which he taught school in New Guinea, was a core member of the Glebe Society fighting expressways during the 1970s and, later in life, became a computer programmer/web designer. He was enthusiastic about all progressive causes. He provided the technical know-how to get this blog up and running five years ago, and supported it thereafter. He believed in the ‘cause’. The first blog password was ‘November 1975’. With many others, he would never forget the Whitlam dismissal. Albert’s death is mourned by his wife, Kathy, two daughters, Jo and Madeleine, and his grandchildren. He will be sadly missed. Vale Albert.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. A prime minister progressively shriller and less coherent.
- IAN DUNLOP. A Parliament Without Trust or Legitimacy Must Go
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- HENRY REYNOLDS. A HUNDRED YEARS OF MATESHIP.
- SUSAN RYAN. The Irish teaching orders in Australia.
- GOOD READING AND LISTENING FOR THE WEEKEND 18 August 2018
- GREG BAILEY. Australia and Canada: Mirrors of each other 18 August 2018
- MICHAEL PASCOE. Why Australia’s latest wages figures are worse than they look (the New Daily 16.08.18) 18 August 2018
- JERRY ROBERTS. West Australian white ants move into interesting territory. 18 August 2018
- JOHN TULLOH. The death by stealth of an independent Palestine. 18 August 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (814)
- Drug Reform (19)
- Economy (1,078)
- Education (205)
- Environment and climate (340)
- Health (514)
- Housing (72)
- Human Rights (417)
- Indigenous affairs (65)
- Industrial relations (33)
- Infrastructure (160)
- International Affairs (1,573)
- Asia (206)
- Links (10)
- Media (518)
- NBN (74)
- Politics (2,463)
- Refugees, Immigration (539)
- Religion and Faith (505)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (52)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (36)
- Uncategorized (195)