The Economics Editor of the Guardian, Larry Elliott, describes how capitalism is facing an increasing crisis. He says that after the fall of the Berlin wall, we have seen the dark side of the post-Cold War model. Instead of trickle-down, there has been a trickle-up. Instead of the triumph of democracy there has been the triumph of the elites. We are seeing this in so many ways – the avarice of bankers, growing inequality, executive salaries and greed. This article suggests that the Vatican may be right that markets must be underpinned by morality. For this interesting and challenging account, see the link below. John Menadue.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- SPENCER ZIFCAK. The Attorney-General, the ASIS Officer and his Lawyer: The Story of the Shameful Timor Prosecution
- PATRICIA EDGAR. The Circus that has been Government Policy on the ABC for Forty Years
- JOHN MENADUE. Sydney Metro: A Forty Billion Dollar Deception?
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- ERIC HODGENS. Storms and Synods.
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Three Stooges ride again. 16 July 2018
- KATHRYN KELLY. Armed Neutrality for Australia? 16 July 2018
- KIM WINGEREI. Democracy is not just about elections! 16 July 2018
- HANKYOREH EDITORIAL. President Moon’s vision for peace and prosperity after denuclearization 16 July 2018
- JOHN HANNON. Where and who are the prophetic voices today? (a homily) 16 July 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (796)
- Economy (1,058)
- Education (198)
- Environment and climate (316)
- Health (495)
- Housing (71)
- Human Rights (409)
- Indigenous affairs (60)
- Industrial relations (33)
- Infrastructure (158)
- International Affairs (1,508)
- Asia (184)
- Links (10)
- Media (506)
- NBN (74)
- Politics (2,401)
- Refugees, Immigration (534)
- Religion and Faith (484)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (59)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (52)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (36)
- Uncategorized (179)