The Economics Editor of the Guardian, Larry Elliott, describes how capitalism is facing an increasing crisis. He says that after the fall of the Berlin wall, we have seen the dark side of the post-Cold War model. Instead of trickle-down, there has been a trickle-up. Instead of the triumph of democracy there has been the triumph of the elites. We are seeing this in so many ways – the avarice of bankers, growing inequality, executive salaries and greed. This article suggests that the Vatican may be right that markets must be underpinned by morality. For this interesting and challenging account, see the link below. John Menadue.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- RICHARD FLANAGAN. Australians in WWI didn’t die for Australia. They died for Britain. (Part 1 of 2)
- JOHN MENADUE. The Coalition and media myth about stopping the boats.
- EDMUND CAMPION. On Cardinal Gilroy At The Sydney Institute.
- MICHAEL PASCOE. The banking royal commission – it’s even worse than it looks
- IAN DUNLOP. The Monash Forum – of Coal & Horses.
- LINDA SIMON. A Royal Commission for the finance sector? What about VET? 27 April 2018
- LINDSAY MURDOCH. Former Islamic cleric could be Malaysia’s kingmaker. 27 April 2018
- VIC ROWLANDS. Reclaiming Democracy Part 2 27 April 2018
- TIM COLEBATCH. Why is unemployment still so high? 27 April 2018
- MARGARET O’CONNOR. Institutional reform following the Royal Commission on child sex abuse is women’s work. 26 April 2018
- Arts and Reviews (36)
- Defence/Security (743)
- Economy (968)
- Education (185)
- Environment and climate (295)
- Health (470)
- Housing (59)
- Human Rights (386)
- Indigenous affairs (57)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (135)
- International Affairs (1,311)
- Asia (95)
- Links (10)
- Media (471)
- NBN (73)
- Politics (2,270)
- Refugees, Immigration (520)
- Religion and Faith (451)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (59)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (51)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (142)