Paddy bought a donkey from a farmer for £100.
The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.
In the morning he drove up and said, ‘Sorry son, but I have some bad news. The donkey’s died.’
Paddy replied, ‘Well just give me my money back then.’
The farmer said, ‘Can’t do that. I’ve already spent it.’
Paddy said, ‘OK then, just bring me the dead donkey.’
The farmer asked, ‘What are you going to do with him?’
Paddy said, ‘I’m going to raffle him off.’
The farmer said, ‘You can’t raffle a dead donkey!’
Paddy said, ‘Sure I can. Watch me. I just won’t tell anybody he’s dead.’
A month later, the farmer met up with Paddy and asked, ‘What happened with that dead donkey?’
Paddy said, ‘I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at £2 each and made a profit of £898’
The farmer said, ‘Didn’t anyone complain?’
Paddy said, ‘Just the guy who won. So I gave him his £2 back.’
Paddy now works for the Commonwealth Bank.
Subscribe to pearls and irritations (we have had some issues, now fixed, so please subscribe again)
Most viewed recently
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- STEPHANIE DOWRICK. Issues of Integrity, Not Sex.
- BERNARD KEANE. Joyce has always been a dud and should never have been deputy PM.
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. Has the ABC buckled to PM Malcolm Turnbull by removing critical ‘analysis’ of the claimed benefits of corporate tax cuts?
- SAUL ESLAKE. Defenders of housing status quo create ‘alternative facts’.
- SCOTT BURCHILL. Class power Australia 20 February 2018
- MICHAEL KEATING. Trickle down economics and the Emma Alberici article. 20 February 2018
- MICHAEL PEMBROKE. North Korea: Why negotiations can’t wait for denuclearisation 20 February 2018
- JOHN WATKINS. An ode to nurses: hospital stay highlights immense compassion and skill 20 February 2018
- MARC HUDSON. It’s 20 years since privatisation lit the spark under South Australia’s livewire energy politics 20 February 2018
- Arts and Reviews (35)
- Defence/Security (705)
- Economy (927)
- Education (174)
- Environment and climate (257)
- Health (438)
- Housing (53)
- Human Rights (376)
- Indigenous affairs (53)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (125)
- International Affairs (1,214)
- Asia (62)
- Links (8)
- Media (456)
- NBN (71)
- Politics (2,184)
- Refugees, Immigration (511)
- Religion and Faith (434)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (58)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (43)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (114)