Paddy bought a donkey from a farmer for £100.
The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.
In the morning he drove up and said, ‘Sorry son, but I have some bad news. The donkey’s died.’
Paddy replied, ‘Well just give me my money back then.’
The farmer said, ‘Can’t do that. I’ve already spent it.’
Paddy said, ‘OK then, just bring me the dead donkey.’
The farmer asked, ‘What are you going to do with him?’
Paddy said, ‘I’m going to raffle him off.’
The farmer said, ‘You can’t raffle a dead donkey!’
Paddy said, ‘Sure I can. Watch me. I just won’t tell anybody he’s dead.’
A month later, the farmer met up with Paddy and asked, ‘What happened with that dead donkey?’
Paddy said, ‘I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets at £2 each and made a profit of £898’
The farmer said, ‘Didn’t anyone complain?’
Paddy said, ‘Just the guy who won. So I gave him his £2 back.’
Paddy now works for the Commonwealth Bank.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI: Questions Ahead of Home Affairs Meeting That Never Happened
- JOHN MENADUE The myth that the Liberals are better economic managers?
- ABUL RIZVI. New regional visas – a recipe for exploitation and destitution.
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- ABUL RIZVI. Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton have lost control of our borders.
- HENRY REYNOLDS. Anzac Day. 24 April 2019
- EVA COX. The trust deficit – a seriously neglected election issue 24 April 2019
- KIERAN TAPSELL. Anzac Day and apologies for the sins of the past. 24 April 2019
- JAMES O’NEILL: When Better than at an Election to Have a Serious and Overdue Debate About Defence and Foreign Policy Objectives? 24 April 2019
- WILLIAM BRIGGS ANZAC Day: lest we forget the militarisation of the Australian economy 24 April 2019
- Arts and Reviews (46)
- Defence/Security (901)
- Drug Reform (30)
- Economy (1,245)
- Education (255)
- Environment and climate (482)
- Health (607)
- Housing (85)
- Human Rights (443)
- Indigenous affairs (79)
- Industrial relations (36)
- Infrastructure (202)
- International Affairs (1,962)
- Asia (361)
- Links (10)
- Media (593)
- NBN (81)
- Politics (3,094)
- Refugees, Immigration (655)
- Religion and Faith (615)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (56)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (6)
- Tributes (49)
- Uncategorized (225)
- JAMES O’NEILL: When Better than at an Election to Have a Serious and Overdue Debate About Defence and Foreign Policy Objectives? on
- EVA COX. The trust deficit – a seriously neglected election issue on
- DAVID STEPHENS -People against the War Memorial’s grandiose extensions project. on
- NOEL TURNBULL. Myths, myths and more myths on
- HENRY REYNOLDS. Anzac Day. on