Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI. Dutton Sets New Asylum Seeker Application Record
- ABUL RIZVI: Is our Visa Processing System in Crisis?
- ALLAN PATIENCE: The dilemma now facing Coalition politics in Australia
- IAN McAULEY. Victoria’s election: the trend behind the noise
- ALLAN PATIENCE. Scott Morrison – a politician out of his depth?
- TIM COSTELLO. World Vision Australia Chief Advocate on our ODA failing 14 December 2018
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. PM’s anti-corruption commission is a picture of impotence (The New Daily, 14.12.18) 14 December 2018
- RAMESH THAKUR. India’s 2019 general election suddenly becomes a lot more interesting 14 December 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. The Transition of Pearls & Irritations 14 December 2018
- LUKE FRASER. Canberra has abandoned roads to inflationary spending and policy chaos 14 December 2018
- Arts and Reviews (44)
- Defence/Security (856)
- Drug Reform (26)
- economics (8)
- Economy (1,159)
- Education (236)
- Environment and climate (407)
- Health (558)
- Housing (77)
- Human Rights (430)
- Indigenous affairs (71)
- Industrial relations (34)
- Infrastructure (182)
- International Affairs (1,785)
- Asia (309)
- Links (10)
- Media (564)
- NBN (77)
- Politics (2,803)
- Refugees, Immigration (597)
- Religion and Faith (558)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (55)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (6)
- Tributes (46)
- Uncategorized (207)
- ANDREW FARRAN. Brexit: Reenter the Grand Old Duke of York. on
- RAMESH THAKUR. India’s 2019 general election suddenly becomes a lot more interesting on
- JOHN MENADUE. The Transition of Pearls & Irritations on
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. PM’s anti-corruption commission is a picture of impotence (The New Daily, 14.12.18) on
- TIM COSTELLO. World Vision Australia Chief Advocate on our ODA failing on
Tag Archives: Andrew Farran
Australia is busily involved in selling military equipment to Saudi Arabia which is engaged in the civil war in the Yemen whose features exceed in brutality and crimes against humanity those in Syria. Has the government clearly thought through where … Continue reading
Our armed forces have been deployed abroad opportunistically, even cynically, for decades. This must be avoided in future if they are to serve Australia’s true defence interests in future.
Why does the Prime Minister extoll our expensive F-35s as instruments for killing terrorists in irrelevant conflicts when their purpose is to protect the nation against threats of strategic dimensions were they to arise, not now but in the decades … Continue reading
The WTO’s long awaited multilateral Trade Facilitation Agreement has at last received the required number of ratifications and entered into force on 22nd February. It will expedite the movement and clearance of goods at the border and at airports, and … Continue reading
If the compounding mess of the global trading ‘system’ is to be overcome, trade negotiators need to get back to first principles.
Molan writes that this sensitive touch in relations with Indonesia is reflected in a long tradition of Australian diplomats putting Indonesia’s interests and the views of Indonesians ahead of our own. Indeed he implies that but for geography Indonesia would … Continue reading
We should have a very clear and unromantic view of what we conceive to be the ‘national interest’.
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. We need diplomacy of the highest order, not military interventions which, as we have seen, generally make conflict situations worse.
Indications are that a Trump Administration will expect America’s allies to pay their way to a greater extent than former President Nixon’s expectations were pursuant to the Guam Doctrine of 1969 mid-point in the Vietnam War. By and large … Continue reading
Legal advice on a government decision to go to war. The legal spat between the Commonwealth Solicitor-General and the Attorney- General is potentially more serious than it might appear. It is not uncommon that certain actions or proposed actions … Continue reading