Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. The ABC is now fighting for its survival (Speech delivered on 7 February 2019)
- FRANK BRENNAN, TIM COSTELLO, ROBERT MANNE, JOHN MENADUE. Boat Turnbacks and Medical Transfers.
- ERNST WILLHEIM. Secret Trials: The illegal bugging of the Timor Leste Cabinet and the extraordinary prosecution of Bernard Collaery and Witness K
- ABUL RIZVI. Is the Government walking both sides of the street on immigration?
- JOHN MENADUE. Asylum seekers are pouring into Australia in record numbers by air, but the media and politicians are not interested in the facts.
- PETER SAINSBURY. Sunday environmental round up, 17 February 2019 17 February 2019
- SATURDAY’s GOOD READING AND LISTENING FOR THE WEEKEND 16 February 2019
- FRANK BRENNAN, TIM COSTELLO, ROBERT MANNE, JOHN MENADUE. Boat Turnbacks and Medical Transfers. 15 February 2019
- ABUL RIZVI: Asylum Seekers and Character Checking 15 February 2019
- CAVAN HOGUE. Comment on Hugh White’s response to Paul Dibb on ANZUS and Taiwan. 15 February 2019
- Arts and Reviews (46)
- Defence/Security (878)
- Drug Reform (29)
- Economy (1,207)
- Education (248)
- Environment and climate (430)
- Health (582)
- Housing (80)
- Human Rights (435)
- Indigenous affairs (76)
- Industrial relations (36)
- Infrastructure (192)
- International Affairs (1,879)
- Asia (332)
- Links (10)
- Media (575)
- NBN (77)
- Politics (2,926)
- Refugees, Immigration (621)
- Religion and Faith (585)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (56)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (6)
- Tributes (49)
- Uncategorized (218)
- JOHN MENADUE. Asylum seekers are pouring into Australia in record numbers by air, but the media and politicians are not interested in the facts. on
- HUGH WHITE. The US shouldn’t go to war with China over Taiwan—and nor should Australia (ASPI: THE STRATEGIST, 13 Feb 2019) on
- ALISON BROINOWSKI. Australian values in free fall. on
- MIKE SCRAFTON. The casual talk of war on
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. Peter Dutton says doctors can’t e trusted. on
Tag Archives: ANZUS
The key issue is not what President Trump says on behalf of the United States but, what the United States actually does.
Whereas economic globalisation might seem for a time to be on the wane, in the military sphere globalisation is on the rise. Regional alliances are being transformed into global alliances. ANZUS has been merged de facto into NATO, and where … Continue reading
Insider, analyst and adviser Allan Gyngell finds that Australian defence and foreign policy are more bipartisan than ever. But even as Australia’s national security agenda metastesizes, we have more to fear from an unreliable ally and an increasingly lawless world. … Continue reading
John Howard contributed to world events which are still affecting us: invasion, illegality, sycophancy to our allies, refugees, and even Brexit and Trump. Why do Australians not hold him accountable?
The following submission to the Hon. Julie Bishop for the White Paper on Foreign Affairs and Trade has also been sent to the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition and Senator Wong, as well as selected MPs and Senators.
ANZUS has morphed from an alliance to a sacrosanct ethos to which all Australians are supposed to subscribe. It is time it went back to what it was supposed to be – an alliance. … To differ with the Americans … Continue reading
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. We have a unique moment to do something Australia has never done – make a rational distinction between our national interests and our enduring regard for the US.
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. Trump does give us an opportunity to do things we should have done long ago.