Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI: Prime Minister fudges regional migration figures
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Australia plummets below Greece
- JOHN MENADUE. We should stop pretending that the Coalition is a good economic or business manager
- ARTHUR CHESTERFIELD-EVANS. Government Inaction may be a significant cause of Australia’s World-Leading Cancer Rates
- JACK WATERFORD. Soon we won’t recognise the face of Australia.
- JACK WATERFORD. Labor could fall further yet 12 November 2019
- PETER BAUME. Our current drug policy is insane. 12 November 2019
- BOB CARR. Erratic US Pacific policy is leaving Australia stranded (Australian Financial Review 8-11-19) 12 November 2019
- NOEL TURNBULL. The political limbo rock – how low can you go? 12 November 2019
- GREGORY CLARK- APEC on the chopping block ( Asia Times November 5, 2019) 12 November 2019
- Arts and Reviews (53)
- Defence/Security (982)
- Drug Reform (34)
- Economy (1,335)
- Education (272)
- Environment and climate (602)
- Health (658)
- Housing (103)
- Human Rights (471)
- Indigenous affairs (94)
- Industrial relations (37)
- Infrastructure (222)
- International Affairs (2,273)
- Asia (465)
- Links (10)
- Media (623)
- NBN (84)
- Politics (3,665)
- Refugees, Immigration (687)
- Religion and Faith (716)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (62)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (9)
- Tributes (63)
- Uncategorized (228)
Tag Archives: ANZUS
The key issue is not what President Trump says on behalf of the United States but, what the United States actually does.
Whereas economic globalisation might seem for a time to be on the wane, in the military sphere globalisation is on the rise. Regional alliances are being transformed into global alliances. ANZUS has been merged de facto into NATO, and where … Continue reading
Insider, analyst and adviser Allan Gyngell finds that Australian defence and foreign policy are more bipartisan than ever. But even as Australia’s national security agenda metastesizes, we have more to fear from an unreliable ally and an increasingly lawless world. … Continue reading
John Howard contributed to world events which are still affecting us: invasion, illegality, sycophancy to our allies, refugees, and even Brexit and Trump. Why do Australians not hold him accountable?
The following submission to the Hon. Julie Bishop for the White Paper on Foreign Affairs and Trade has also been sent to the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition and Senator Wong, as well as selected MPs and Senators.
ANZUS has morphed from an alliance to a sacrosanct ethos to which all Australians are supposed to subscribe. It is time it went back to what it was supposed to be – an alliance. … To differ with the Americans … Continue reading
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. We have a unique moment to do something Australia has never done – make a rational distinction between our national interests and our enduring regard for the US.
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. Trump does give us an opportunity to do things we should have done long ago.