Subscribe to pearls and irritations (we have had some issues, now fixed, so please subscribe again)
Most viewed recently
- GOOD READING AND LISTENING FOR THE WEEKEND … 20 January 2018
- HENRY REYNOLDS. Unnecessary wars.- A REPOST from October 26 2017 20 January 2018
- GRAHAM FREUDENBERG. His speech at the Graham Freudenberg Tribute Dinner- A REPOST from June 19 2017 20 January 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. The ongoing spin that Tony Abbott and the Coalition stopped the boats.- A REPOST from August 3 2017 20 January 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. A Commonwealth Hospital Benefit to replace the $11b private health insurance subsidy.- A REPOST from October 18 2117 19 January 2018
- Arts and Reviews (34)
- Defence/Security (674)
- Economy (905)
- Education (167)
- Environment and climate (244)
- Health (422)
- Housing (52)
- Human Rights (369)
- Indigenous affairs (49)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (117)
- International Affairs (1,175)
- Asia (52)
- Links (8)
- Media (449)
- NBN (71)
- Politics (2,136)
- Refugees, Immigration (504)
- Religion and Faith (431)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (58)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (43)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (93)
Tag Archives: ANZUS
The key issue is not what President Trump says on behalf of the United States but, what the United States actually does.
Whereas economic globalisation might seem for a time to be on the wane, in the military sphere globalisation is on the rise. Regional alliances are being transformed into global alliances. ANZUS has been merged de facto into NATO, and where … Continue reading
Insider, analyst and adviser Allan Gyngell finds that Australian defence and foreign policy are more bipartisan than ever. But even as Australia’s national security agenda metastesizes, we have more to fear from an unreliable ally and an increasingly lawless world. … Continue reading
John Howard contributed to world events which are still affecting us: invasion, illegality, sycophancy to our allies, refugees, and even Brexit and Trump. Why do Australians not hold him accountable?
The following submission to the Hon. Julie Bishop for the White Paper on Foreign Affairs and Trade has also been sent to the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition and Senator Wong, as well as selected MPs and Senators.
ANZUS has morphed from an alliance to a sacrosanct ethos to which all Australians are supposed to subscribe. It is time it went back to what it was supposed to be – an alliance. … To differ with the Americans … Continue reading
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. We have a unique moment to do something Australia has never done – make a rational distinction between our national interests and our enduring regard for the US.
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. Trump does give us an opportunity to do things we should have done long ago.