Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- HENRY REYNOLDS. Australia’s perpetual ‘war footing’.
- GEOFF RABY. The current mess in Australia/China relations
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. Malcolm Turnbull missed his chance to be his own man.
- RANALD MACDONALD. ABC cuts – the gloves are off.
- PANKAJ MISHRA. A Gandhian Stand Against the Culture of Cruelty 26 May 2018
- JIM COOMBS. Best Things In Life. 26 May 2018
- MARTIN WOLF. Italy’s new rulers could shake the euro 26 May 2018
- GOOD READING AND LISTENING FOR THE WEEKEND … 26 May 2018
- JAMES FERNYHOUGH. Revealed: Australia’s richest professionals and the suburbs they live in 26 May 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (758)
- Economy (1,008)
- Education (191)
- Environment and climate (304)
- Health (479)
- Housing (69)
- Human Rights (393)
- Indigenous affairs (58)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (145)
- International Affairs (1,373)
- Asia (126)
- Links (10)
- Media (479)
- NBN (73)
- Politics (2,320)
- Refugees, Immigration (523)
- Religion and Faith (463)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (59)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (51)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (155)
Tag Archives: Ben Doherty
Migration experts say it is unlikely closing camps on Manus and Nauru islands would re-start boats. We are beyond that point.
See link below – article by Ben Doherty in The Guardian, 16 August 2016. It includes an interview with me, Peter Hughes and others, on the need to act quickly to process in Australia, the detainees presently held in Manus … Continue reading
Nearly 29,000 asylum seekers are in Australia on temporary ‘bridging visas’. These people may be free from detention but – with many denied education, healthcare and the right to work – they remain locked in desperate poverty and with no … Continue reading