Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI: Scott Morrison’s Record on Immigration
- JOHN MENADUE. Why dental care was excluded from Medicare and why it should now be included
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. A ministry top-heavy with lightweights.
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. Morrison is, and has always been, a creature of the right, both economically and socially.
- ABUL RIZVI. What is Dutton Hiding Now?
- MAUREEN DOWD. Trump Finally Makes a Friend (New York Times, 15.09.18) 18 September 2018
- ERIN O’DONNELL, AVRIL HORNE. Giving environmental water to drought-stricken farmers sounds straightforward, but it’s a bad idea (The Conversation, 18.09.18) 18 September 2018
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. ScoMo, ProMo, Status QuoMo 18 September 2018
- DUNCAN GRAHAM. Robbing Roads To Keep Rice Cheap. 18 September 2018
- ROSS GITTINS. Morrison’s surplus secret: bracket creep kills the tax cuts. (SMH 15-16.9.2018) 18 September 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (816)
- Drug Reform (21)
- Economy (1,099)
- Education (209)
- Environment and climate (361)
- Health (527)
- Housing (75)
- Human Rights (420)
- Indigenous affairs (68)
- Industrial relations (33)
- Infrastructure (164)
- International Affairs (1,618)
- Asia (226)
- Links (10)
- Media (526)
- NBN (74)
- Politics (2,566)
- Refugees, Immigration (556)
- Religion and Faith (523)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (53)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (36)
- Uncategorized (197)
Tag Archives: border-protection
The concept of Australia’s Immigration Department being a minor part of a version of the United States department of homeland security is a frightening one. What will have happened to the “Welcome to Australia” banners of years past?
Donald J. Trump likes to sound off about ‘bad hombres’ sneaking into the United States to spread terror and crime. Bad hombres come in many shapes and disguises, not only as bad people but also bad ideas.
The Australia of today is vastly different to the Australia of my childhood with its widespread racism and sectarianism. It was socially suffocating. For those changes I am very grateful. There is a lot that we can be proud of. … Continue reading
The inspiring poem by Emma Lazarus carved on the Statue of Liberty clearly reflects the ethos and caring spirit of a bygone era: “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse … Continue reading
Over the past decades of asylum seeker policy in Australia we have heard many justifications for a strict deterrence policy. Border protection, save lives at sea, ‘no advantage’ for queue jumpers, smash the people smugglers’ business model, and, of course, … Continue reading
This was posted on November 15, 2013. Increasingly refugee policy is portrayed in terms of border protection and stopping the boats. We are losing sight of the enormous nation-building benefits that we have received from immigrants and refugees. John Menadue … Continue reading