Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. The ABC is now fighting for its survival (Speech delivered on 7 February 2019)
- FRANK BRENNAN, TIM COSTELLO, ROBERT MANNE, JOHN MENADUE. Boat Turnbacks and Medical Transfers.
- ERNST WILLHEIM. Secret Trials: The illegal bugging of the Timor Leste Cabinet and the extraordinary prosecution of Bernard Collaery and Witness K
- ABUL RIZVI. Is the Government walking both sides of the street on immigration?
- JOHN MENADUE. Asylum seekers are pouring into Australia in record numbers by air, but the media and politicians are not interested in the facts.
- PETER SAINSBURY. Sunday environmental round up, 17 February 2019 17 February 2019
- SATURDAY’s GOOD READING AND LISTENING FOR THE WEEKEND 16 February 2019
- FRANK BRENNAN, TIM COSTELLO, ROBERT MANNE, JOHN MENADUE. Boat Turnbacks and Medical Transfers. 15 February 2019
- ABUL RIZVI: Asylum Seekers and Character Checking 15 February 2019
- CAVAN HOGUE. Comment on Hugh White’s response to Paul Dibb on ANZUS and Taiwan. 15 February 2019
- Arts and Reviews (46)
- Defence/Security (878)
- Drug Reform (29)
- Economy (1,207)
- Education (248)
- Environment and climate (430)
- Health (582)
- Housing (80)
- Human Rights (435)
- Indigenous affairs (76)
- Industrial relations (36)
- Infrastructure (192)
- International Affairs (1,879)
- Asia (332)
- Links (10)
- Media (575)
- NBN (77)
- Politics (2,926)
- Refugees, Immigration (621)
- Religion and Faith (585)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (56)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (6)
- Tributes (49)
- Uncategorized (218)
- JOHN MENADUE. Asylum seekers are pouring into Australia in record numbers by air, but the media and politicians are not interested in the facts. on
- HUGH WHITE. The US shouldn’t go to war with China over Taiwan—and nor should Australia (ASPI: THE STRATEGIST, 13 Feb 2019) on
- ALISON BROINOWSKI. Australian values in free fall. on
- MIKE SCRAFTON. The casual talk of war on
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. Peter Dutton says doctors can’t e trusted. on
Tag Archives: Defence
Whereas economic globalisation might seem for a time to be on the wane, in the military sphere globalisation is on the rise. Regional alliances are being transformed into global alliances. ANZUS has been merged de facto into NATO, and where … Continue reading
China is on the march to a dominant military footprint while American policy lacks strategic intent.
In the event of war between the USA and any other nation in our region, Australia could not avoid involvement, because of its alliance with the USA. That is the reality we need to address. To avoid the possibility of … Continue reading
Pine Gap has capabilities that could genuinely contribute to the defence of Australia. This would depend on the will and resolution of an Australian government capable of identifying these.
In this article in the Melbourne Age, Hugh White comments ‘So before we decide whether to select the Japanese (submarine) bid, we have to ask if an alliance with Japan is good for Australia.’ See link to full article below: … Continue reading