Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI. Global Talent Independent Visa: Permanent residence in a week or two
- JOHN MENADUE. The Light From the Southern Cross.A Report on Catholic Church Governance
- JENNY HOCKING. High Court says ‘Release the Palace Letters’
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Scott Morrison’s cooing of doves.
- JOHN MENADUE. The dangerous and erratic ally that offers us ‘protection’! An updated repost. Part 1 of 2
- MUNGO MACALLUM. Thanks to Jenny Hocking’s indefatigable efforts, national pride has been salvaged.
- PAUL COLLINS. First Step to a Better Church?
- CHEK LING. The mutating ‘China question’
- RAMESH THAKUR. Let’s learn from this pandemic to be better prepared for the really big one
- DENNIS RICHARDS. Trumpism redefines American exceptionalism
Tag Archives: Greek crisis
We have just spent three weeks in the UK in Bath and London. But I kept the blog going with the help of friends. For years I have largely avoided the UK. When I first visited London in 1963, I … Continue reading
Perhaps the Greek crisis will force a fundamental rethink and Europe will find the way to rekindle again the idealism and hope that gave rise to the European Project in the aftermath of WWII. By any means ‘Europe’ has been … Continue reading
See below links to two interesting articles. The first is by Paul Krugman, ‘Ending Greece’s Bleeding’ in the New York Times. The second is by Thomas Picketty ‘Germany has never repaid’ from the German newspaper Die Zeit. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/opinion/paul-krugman-ending-greeces-bleeding.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fpaul-krugman https://medium.com/@gavinschalliol/thomas-piketty-germany-has-never-repaid-7b5e7add6fff
Current Affairs A lot of the blame for the present crisis should be borne by many countries and institutions, but the one group that is least responsible is the present left-wing government of Greece, Syriza. The major blame must rest … Continue reading
See below link to article by Joseph Stiglitz in Project Syndicate. Joseph Stiglitz is a Nobel Laureate in Economics and University Professor at Columbia University. He was also Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of the World Bank. John Menadue. … Continue reading