Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- PETER MANNING. Public trust and the ABC, a landmine for Turnbull.
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. The Barnaby Joyce slapstick soap opera.
- PETER JOHNSTONE. Bishops in the headlights.
- MICHAEL PASCOE. Fear and loathing in superannuation – Liberal and industry fund conspiracy theories
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- JOHN AUSTEN. Australian freight policy: after the chainsaw? Part 3 19 June 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. Coalition legacies. 19 June 2018
- MIKE SCRAFTON: NATO 2018 and Communique Dread 19 June 2018
- MUNGO MACALLUM. An apology to the victims of sexual abuse 19 June 2018
- ISHAAN THAROOR. Is Trump gaslighting the world on North Korea. 19 June 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (783)
- Economy (1,035)
- Education (193)
- Environment and climate (308)
- Health (484)
- Housing (69)
- Human Rights (404)
- Indigenous affairs (59)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (151)
- International Affairs (1,449)
- Asia (154)
- Links (10)
- Media (488)
- NBN (73)
- Politics (2,354)
- Refugees, Immigration (527)
- Religion and Faith (474)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (59)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (51)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (36)
- Uncategorized (161)
Tag Archives: Malaysian arrangement
This is a repost of an earlier article by Peter Hughes on 28 April 2016. The Papua New Guinea (PNG) Supreme Court decision and the announcement by the PNG Prime Minister that Manus will be closed only bring forward … Continue reading
At the last election, Tony Abbott gave us a long list of slogans. One of them was to ‘axe the tax’. And he did axe the carbon tax. But it was a serious mistake. With the continuing strong evidence of … Continue reading
John Menadue. The collapse of the Malaysian Arrangement has led to the depravity of Manus and Nauru.
Having done its best in Opposition to wreck the Malaysian Arrangement in 2011, the Turnbull government is now seeking the help of Malaysia over detainees in Manus and Nauru. For political cynicism, this is hard to beat. In May 2011, … Continue reading
The moral depravity of Australian funded and orchestrated holding of asylum seekers, including children, on Nauru and Manus Island is to continue. On Wednesday the High Court made clear that it is in no position to question the retrospective law … Continue reading
Reposted from 22/09/2015 How Tony Abbott helped to keep the door open for people smugglers. The ABC provided us with excellent coverage of the Turnbull-Abbott shoot out, but the various commentators still swallowed the myth that Tony Abbott stopped the … Continue reading
Tony Abbott has been at it again, this time in London, claiming that he stopped the boats and that Europeans should follow suit. It is an oft repeated untruth that he stopped the boats. His one-liners are not supported by … Continue reading
I have reposted below an article I wrote on 8 December last year pointing out that Tony Abbott did not stop the boats. But the debate proceeds, assisted by journalists who still claim that Tony Abbott stopped the boats. He … Continue reading
The data just does not support the never-ending claims by Tony Abbott and Scott Morrison that they stopped the boats. The under-resourced and uncritical media accepts the Coalition’s line. I will come to the recent data, but first the evidence … Continue reading