Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI. Global Talent Independent Visa: Permanent residence in a week or two
- JOHN MENADUE. The Light From the Southern Cross.A Report on Catholic Church Governance
- JENNY HOCKING. High Court says ‘Release the Palace Letters’
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Scott Morrison’s cooing of doves.
- MUNGO MACALLUM. Thanks to Jenny Hocking’s indefatigable efforts, national pride has been salvaged.
- COLIN MACKERRAS. The mess of Australia-China relations
- RAMESH THAKUR. Let’s learn from this pandemic to be better prepared for the really big one
- PAUL COLLINS. First Step to a Better Church?
- JENNY HOCKING. ‘If I were to terminate his commission’: Sir John Kerr’s secret ‘Palace letters on Whitlam’s dismissal
- BOB CARR. Hidden Reality of Australia-China Relations
Tag Archives: Manus Island
In recent weeks I have been involved in an extended argument on the Monthly’s website over the fate of the refugees on Nauru and Manus Island whose lives all participants in the discussion agree are being slowly destroyed as a … Continue reading
This is an edited extract of a talk delivered to the Integrity 20 Conference at Griffith University on October 25, 2016 If you had been told 30 years ago that Australia would create the least asylum seeker friendly institutional arrangements … Continue reading
JAMES ROSE. From Tampa to now: how reporting on asylum seekers has been a triumph of spin over substance.
Spin designed to dehumanise and demonise asylum seekers. This year marks the 15th anniversary of one of the most divisive national election campaigns in Australia’s recent history: the Tampa affair. Coming just weeks after the September 11 terror attacks, … Continue reading
The PNG Supreme Court decision has again thrown into stark relief the bankrupt nature of Australia’s asylum policy and the disingenuous way that both sides use trite slogans such as “ saving lives” and not “starting up the people smuggling … Continue reading