Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. The Barnaby Joyce slapstick soap opera.
- PETER JOHNSTONE. Bishops in the headlights.
- MICHAEL PASCOE. Fear and loathing in superannuation – Liberal and industry fund conspiracy theories
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. The end of Western Civilisation!
- LOWY SURVEY-Donald Trump a ‘critical threat’ to Australia’s interests as trust in US hits record low. 20 June 2018
- CAROL GLATZ. Dictatorships begin with taking over media, warns pope 20 June 2018
- LAURIE PATTON. You can’t privatise an organisation that doesn’t make a profit! 20 June 2018
- MICHAEL PASCOE. Liberals’ lurch to the right is straight out of Trump playbook 20 June 2018
- GEOFF RABY. How Kim Jong-un can bring his economy in from the cold. 20 June 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (783)
- Economy (1,035)
- Education (193)
- Environment and climate (308)
- Health (485)
- Housing (69)
- Human Rights (404)
- Indigenous affairs (59)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (151)
- International Affairs (1,451)
- Asia (156)
- Links (10)
- Media (492)
- NBN (73)
- Politics (2,355)
- Refugees, Immigration (528)
- Religion and Faith (475)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (59)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (51)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (36)
- Uncategorized (162)
Tag Archives: mission creep
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. We need diplomacy of the highest order, not military interventions which, as we have seen, generally make conflict situations worse.
The government is considering adding to the disaster in the Middle East by instructing the RAAF to bomb targets in Syria. Will we ever learn from our past mistakes? In supporting the US invasion of Iraq, Australia helped trigger the … Continue reading
Within the next ten days, the National Security Committee of Cabinet will discuss the US request to Australia to deploy RAAF assets in bombing IS targets in Syria. Presumably, senior defense, foreign affairs, intelligence and government policy staff will be … Continue reading
(or – when you get in a hole, stop digging) To the sound of approaching drumbeats, first the ever-reliable Jim Molan, then Peter Jennings, and after them Liberal MP Dan Tehan have been wheeled out to tell us in recent … Continue reading
We seem unable to learn from the history of past centuries and decades as we plan to send another 300 Australian troops to Iraq to train forces fighting IS. To show his patriotic fervour Tony Abbott needed eight Australian flags … Continue reading