Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- STEPHANIE DOWRICK. Issues of Integrity, Not Sex.
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. Has the ABC buckled to PM Malcolm Turnbull by removing critical ‘analysis’ of the claimed benefits of corporate tax cuts?
- BERNARD KEANE. Joyce has always been a dud and should never have been deputy PM.
- MICHAEL KEATING. Trickle down economics and the Emma Alberici article.
- GOOD READING AND LISTENING FOR THE WEEKEND … 24 February 2018
- ROSS GITTINS. Self-interest standing in the way of a fix for the Murray-Darling 24 February 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. When will we wake up to the risks as well as the benefits of the US alliance (A REPOST) 24 February 2018
- QUENTIN GRAFTON and JOHN WILLIAMS. States’ dummy-spit over the Murray-Darling Basin Plan clouds the real facts 24 February 2018
- GARY JOHNSTON. The Future Submarine: a technical problem 23 February 2018
- Arts and Reviews (35)
- Defence/Security (711)
- Economy (930)
- Education (176)
- Environment and climate (262)
- Health (441)
- Housing (53)
- Human Rights (378)
- Indigenous affairs (54)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (125)
- International Affairs (1,220)
- Asia (65)
- Links (8)
- Media (459)
- NBN (71)
- Politics (2,188)
- Refugees, Immigration (511)
- Religion and Faith (434)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (58)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (43)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (117)
Tag Archives: stop-the-boats
At the last election, Tony Abbott gave us a long list of slogans. One of them was to ‘axe the tax’. And he did axe the carbon tax. But it was a serious mistake. With the continuing strong evidence of … Continue reading
In the Saturday Paper of January 24 this year, in an article by Mike Seccombe, two refugee advocates were quoted as saying: ‘Things like offshore processing and TPVs, mandatory detention – these sorts of measures don’t stop the boats. It’s … Continue reading
In his speech today, Tony Abbott recycled many of his one-liners that we heard at the last election. Let’s examine several of them. First, he said that his government was a low-taxing government and that it would reduce the budget … Continue reading
In his Australia Day post Abbott’s relations with China Australia’s first Ambassador to the People’s Republic, Stephen Fitzgerald, begins ‘Can you believe the Abbott government has any idea where it’s headed on relations with China? Whatever you think of China’s … Continue reading