Paul McGeough in the SMH of January 31 draws attention to our dubious links to Middle East countries that have appalling human rights records. Our Governor General, Sir Peter Cosgrove, having given advice to Prime Minister Abbott on a knighthood on Prince Philip decided that he need not be in Australia for Australia Day, but went off to the funeral of the late King of Saudi Arabia. What a strange order of priorities! See link below.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- SPENCER ZIFCAK. The Attorney-General, the ASIS Officer and his Lawyer: The Story of the Shameful Timor Prosecution
- ERIC HODGENS. Storms and Synods.
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- KERRY O’BRIEN. Speech to ABC Friends rally – Sydney 8 July 2018
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. The Libertarians.
- RICHARD ECCLESTON. The housing divide 20 July 2018
- CHRISTINA HO AND CHRIS BONNOR. ‘Hubs of concentrated advantage’: selective schools need a rethink 20 July 2018
- JOHN MENADUE Why are Australian defence correspondents so quiet about complaints to the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court on the use of Australian and Latin American mercenaries by UAE in the war against Yemen (Arab Organisation for Human Rights in the UK) 20 July 2018
- PATTY FAWKNER. How power has hijacked the parable of the Good Samaritan. 20 July 2018
- ANTHONY HOGAN. Law and the seal of Catholic confessional. 20 July 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (800)
- Economy (1,059)
- Education (200)
- Environment and climate (319)
- Health (495)
- Housing (72)
- Human Rights (410)
- Indigenous affairs (60)
- Industrial relations (33)
- Infrastructure (158)
- International Affairs (1,518)
- Asia (188)
- Links (10)
- Media (506)
- NBN (74)
- Politics (2,404)
- Refugees, Immigration (534)
- Religion and Faith (488)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (59)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (52)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (36)
- Uncategorized (183)