Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI. Global Talent Independent Visa: Permanent residence in a week or two
- JOHN MENADUE. The Light From the Southern Cross.A Report on Catholic Church Governance
- JENNY HOCKING. High Court says ‘Release the Palace Letters’
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Scott Morrison’s cooing of doves.
- MUNGO MACALLUM. Thanks to Jenny Hocking’s indefatigable efforts, national pride has been salvaged.
- PAUL COLLINS. First Step to a Better Church?
- JOHN MENADUE. The dangerous and erratic ally that offers us ‘protection’! An updated repost. Part 1 of 2
- RAMESH THAKUR. Let’s learn from this pandemic to be better prepared for the really big one
- DENNIS RICHARDS. Trumpism redefines American exceptionalism
- CHEK LING. The mutating ‘China question’
Author Archives: Patrick Cockburn
PATRICK COCKBURN. Trump is Igniting a Cold War With China to Try to Win Re-election (Counter Punch 5.5.20)
“Go to China!”, a woman in Denver, Colorado, shouts at two hospital workers standing in front of her car to prevent her from taking part in a protest against the coronavirus lockdown.
PATRICK COCKBURN.- Trump’s Chernobyl Moment: the US May Lose Its Status as World Superpower and Not Recover( Counterpunch 31.3.2020)
The US may be reaching its “Chernobyl moment” as it fails to lead in combating the coronavirus epidemic.
Trump is visibly self-isolating the US and undermining the hegemonic role it has played since the Second World War. Even if Biden is elected as the next president, the US will have lost its undisputed primacy in a post-pandemic world.
PATRICK COCKBURN.-The Real Modi: Do the Killings of Muslims Represent India’s Kristallnacht? (Counterpunch 3.3.2020)
President Trump said he was satisfied that Modi was working “really hard” to establish religious freedom.
PATRICK COCKBURN. The US and Iran’s Perpetual Almost-War is Unsustainable – and Will End Badly(Counterpunch21.1.2020)
The basis for a deal exists between the US and Iran, but that does not mean one will materialise.
What Trump doesn’t know about Iran
Iraq is poised at a turning point in its modern history as its people wait to see if the government curfew and close down of the internet will end the ongoing demonstrations.
AMY GOODMAN and PATRICK COCKBURN. On the Turkish invasion of the Kurdish area in Syria. (Truthout 7.10.2109)
AMY GOODMAN: Let’s start with the surprise announcement, after the phone conversation between Erdogan and Trump, that the U.S. is pulling back its troops for Turkey to attack in northern Syria. Explain what you understand is happening and the significance of … Continue reading
PATRICK COCKBURN. Just as Iraq begins to find Peace, it once again becomes the battleground for an American proxy war (Counterpunch, 30 September 2019)
People in Baghdad are fearful that the next war between the US and Iran will take place in Iraq, which is only just returning to peace after the defeat of Isis. Alarm that Iraq will be sucked into such a … Continue reading
PATRICK COCKBURN. The Drone Strikes on the Saudi Oil Facilities Have Changed Global Warfare (Counterpunch 24-9-19)
The devastating attack on Saudi oil facilities by drones and missiles not only transforms the balance of military power in the Middle East, but marks a change in the nature of warfare globally.
[Reprint of an article in the UK Independent dated 23 July 2010] Dramatic increases in infant mortality, cancer and leukaemia in the Iraqi city of Fallujah, which was bombarded by US Marines in 2004, exceed those reported by survivors of … Continue reading