Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI: Prime Minister fudges regional migration figures
- JOHN MENADUE. We should stop pretending that the Coalition is a good economic or business manager
- ARTHUR CHESTERFIELD-EVANS. Government Inaction may be a significant cause of Australia’s World-Leading Cancer Rates
- JACK WATERFORD. Soon we won’t recognise the face of Australia.
- JOHN MENADUE. Democracy or oligarchy .
- PETER SAINSBURY. Sunday environmental round up, 17 November 2019 17 November 2019
- SATURDAY’s GOOD READING AND LISTENING FOR THE WEEKEND 16 November 2019
- GARETH EVANS. How not to conduct Australian foreign Policy: Suez 1956 15 November 2019
- RAMESH THAKUR. The risk of entrapment by self-fulfilling nuclear prophecy 15 November 2019
- GREG BAILEY. The New South Wales Fires, the National Party and Climate Change. PART 1 15 November 2019
- Arts and Reviews (53)
- Defence/Security (985)
- Drug Reform (34)
- Economy (1,336)
- Education (272)
- Environment and climate (606)
- Health (659)
- Housing (103)
- Human Rights (469)
- Indigenous affairs (94)
- Industrial relations (37)
- Infrastructure (222)
- International Affairs (2,276)
- Asia (466)
- Links (10)
- Media (624)
- NBN (84)
- Politics (3,677)
- Refugees, Immigration (688)
- Religion and Faith (719)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (62)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (9)
- Tributes (64)
- Uncategorized (228)
- MARK BUCKLEY. Why Labor Lost on
- DAVID SOLOMON. Whither Labor on
- MICHAEL KEATING . Economic Growth ,Redistribution and Climate Change. on
- ASSOCIATED PRESS-Europe looking to China as global partner, shunning Donald Trump’s US ( 7 November 2019) on
- CÉSAR RODRÍGUEZ GARAVITO. The Solution to the Climate Crisis on
Tag Archives: ANZUS
The key issue is not what President Trump says on behalf of the United States but, what the United States actually does.
Whereas economic globalisation might seem for a time to be on the wane, in the military sphere globalisation is on the rise. Regional alliances are being transformed into global alliances. ANZUS has been merged de facto into NATO, and where … Continue reading
Insider, analyst and adviser Allan Gyngell finds that Australian defence and foreign policy are more bipartisan than ever. But even as Australia’s national security agenda metastesizes, we have more to fear from an unreliable ally and an increasingly lawless world. … Continue reading
John Howard contributed to world events which are still affecting us: invasion, illegality, sycophancy to our allies, refugees, and even Brexit and Trump. Why do Australians not hold him accountable?
The following submission to the Hon. Julie Bishop for the White Paper on Foreign Affairs and Trade has also been sent to the Prime Minister, the Leader of the Opposition and Senator Wong, as well as selected MPs and Senators.
ANZUS has morphed from an alliance to a sacrosanct ethos to which all Australians are supposed to subscribe. It is time it went back to what it was supposed to be – an alliance. … To differ with the Americans … Continue reading
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. We have a unique moment to do something Australia has never done – make a rational distinction between our national interests and our enduring regard for the US.
Quo vadis – Australian foreign policy and ANZUS. Summary. Trump does give us an opportunity to do things we should have done long ago.