Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI: Scott Morrison’s Record on Immigration
- JOHN MENADUE. Why dental care was excluded from Medicare and why it should now be included
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. A ministry top-heavy with lightweights.
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. Morrison is, and has always been, a creature of the right, both economically and socially.
- ABUL RIZVI. What is Dutton Hiding Now?
- MAUREEN DOWD. Trump Finally Makes a Friend (New York Times, 15.09.18) 18 September 2018
- ERIN O’DONNELL, AVRIL HORNE. Giving environmental water to drought-stricken farmers sounds straightforward, but it’s a bad idea (The Conversation, 18.09.18) 18 September 2018
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. ScoMo, ProMo, Status QuoMo 18 September 2018
- DUNCAN GRAHAM. Robbing Roads To Keep Rice Cheap. 18 September 2018
- ROSS GITTINS. Morrison’s surplus secret: bracket creep kills the tax cuts. (SMH 15-16.9.2018) 18 September 2018
- Arts and Reviews (39)
- Defence/Security (816)
- Drug Reform (21)
- Economy (1,099)
- Education (209)
- Environment and climate (361)
- Health (527)
- Housing (75)
- Human Rights (420)
- Indigenous affairs (68)
- Industrial relations (33)
- Infrastructure (164)
- International Affairs (1,618)
- Asia (226)
- Links (10)
- Media (526)
- NBN (74)
- Politics (2,566)
- Refugees, Immigration (556)
- Religion and Faith (523)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (53)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (36)
- Uncategorized (197)
Tag Archives: offshore processing
A new chapter of humanly decent policy with regard to asylum seekers, more reflective of the many fine and generous impulses in our history of welcoming refugees, can at long last be opened. For pity’s sake, let it be.
Migration experts say it is unlikely closing camps on Manus and Nauru islands would re-start boats. We are beyond that point.
See link below – article by Ben Doherty in The Guardian, 16 August 2016. It includes an interview with me, Peter Hughes and others, on the need to act quickly to process in Australia, the detainees presently held in Manus … Continue reading
You might be interested in this repost. John Menadue. I have been a supporter of refugee rights since the mid-1970s, when with others I formed the Indo-China Refugee Association. During the period of the Howard government I wrote tens … Continue reading
I have not always held the view that asylum seekers who come to Australia could be transferred and processed in another country. I changed my mind on that partly because of the rapid increase in boat arrivals after the Agreement … Continue reading
This is a repost from 23 September, 2013. The insistence on onshore processing for all asylum seekers is damaging the case for humane and sensible refugee policies. The blanket opposition to any offshore processing is understandable but it is just … Continue reading
Yesterday Sir William Deane launched a book ‘Refugees and asylum seekers – a better way’. A link to the book can be found at http://gallery.mailchimp.com/d2331cf87fedd353f6dada8de/files/Refugee_and_asylum_seeker_policy_Finding_a_better_way.pdf The book includes a chapter I wrote ‘Election aftermath – where to now on asylum … Continue reading