Pearls & Irritations advises the sad news that Albert Mispel, who was instrumental in getting this blog started (and indeed, suggested its name) has passed away. Albert had an exciting life during which he taught school in New Guinea, was a core member of the Glebe Society fighting expressways during the 1970s and, later in life, became a computer programmer/web designer. He was enthusiastic about all progressive causes. He provided the technical know-how to get this blog up and running five years ago, and supported it thereafter. He believed in the ‘cause’. The first blog password was ‘November 1975’. With many others, he would never forget the Whitlam dismissal. Albert’s death is mourned by his wife, Kathy, two daughters, Jo and Madeleine, and his grandchildren. He will be sadly missed. Vale Albert.
Subscribe to pearls and irritations (we have had some issues, now fixed, so please subscribe again)
Most viewed recently
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- STEPHANIE DOWRICK. Issues of Integrity, Not Sex.
- BERNARD KEANE. Joyce has always been a dud and should never have been deputy PM.
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. Has the ABC buckled to PM Malcolm Turnbull by removing critical ‘analysis’ of the claimed benefits of corporate tax cuts?
- SAUL ESLAKE. Defenders of housing status quo create ‘alternative facts’.
- SCOTT BURCHILL. Class power Australia 20 February 2018
- MICHAEL KEATING. Trickle down economics and the Emma Alberici article. 20 February 2018
- MICHAEL PEMBROKE. North Korea: Why negotiations can’t wait for denuclearisation 20 February 2018
- JOHN WATKINS. An ode to nurses: hospital stay highlights immense compassion and skill 20 February 2018
- MARC HUDSON. It’s 20 years since privatisation lit the spark under South Australia’s livewire energy politics 20 February 2018
- Arts and Reviews (35)
- Defence/Security (705)
- Economy (927)
- Education (174)
- Environment and climate (257)
- Health (438)
- Housing (53)
- Human Rights (376)
- Indigenous affairs (53)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (125)
- International Affairs (1,214)
- Asia (62)
- Links (8)
- Media (456)
- NBN (71)
- Politics (2,184)
- Refugees, Immigration (511)
- Religion and Faith (434)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (58)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (43)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (114)