The Greeks have been suffering for decades at the hands of a political and business oligarchy. Corruption and massive tax avoidance have been commonplace. It is not surprising that the Greek people rejected the mainstream parties and have thumbed their noses at the the EU, the European Central Bank and the IMF. Europe looks to be headed into new territory. Leonid Bershidsky on ‘Bloomberg View’ has an interesting take on ‘Syriza, Le Pen and the Power of Big Ideas’. John Menadue.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- STEPHANIE DOWRICK. Issues of Integrity, Not Sex.
- BERNARD KEANE. Joyce has always been a dud and should never have been deputy PM.
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. Has the ABC buckled to PM Malcolm Turnbull by removing critical ‘analysis’ of the claimed benefits of corporate tax cuts?
- MICHAEL KEATING. Trickle down economics and the Emma Alberici article.
- GEOFF MILLER: Trump and Turnbull must recognise that China is not going away. 22 February 2018
- PETER MARTIN. Relax, there’s no need to follow Trump on company tax – yet 22 February 2018
- RICHARD BUTLER. Turnbull and Trump: Meeting of Mates 22 February 2018
- GILES PARKINSON. SA Labor shoots for 75% renewables, 25% storage target 22 February 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. The Liberals and the Nationals – Malcolm Turnbull and Barnaby Joyce 22 February 2018
- Arts and Reviews (35)
- Defence/Security (708)
- Economy (928)
- Education (176)
- Environment and climate (258)
- Health (439)
- Housing (53)
- Human Rights (376)
- Indigenous affairs (54)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (125)
- International Affairs (1,219)
- Asia (65)
- Links (8)
- Media (458)
- NBN (71)
- Politics (2,186)
- Refugees, Immigration (511)
- Religion and Faith (434)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (58)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (43)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (116)