Holidaying in Bath, I came across an early example of tax avoidance. A window tax was introduced in the UK in 1696. It was believed to be a progressive tax on the assumption that the wealthy property owners had larger houses and more windows. But the tax avoiders found a way around the problem…fill in the window spaces with masonry and avoid the tax even if it looked very ugly. Wealthy property owners don’t often have good taste or care about neighbours. The tax was abolished in 1851.
Tax avoidance is now largely conducted in secret and the scale of it by such companies as News Corp, Westfield Glencore, Google, Apple and the Big Pharma multinationals puts the tax avoiders in Bath in the shade.
Subscribe to pearls and irritations (we have had some issues, now fixed, so please subscribe again)
Most viewed recently
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- STEPHANIE DOWRICK. Issues of Integrity, Not Sex.
- BERNARD KEANE. Joyce has always been a dud and should never have been deputy PM.
- QUENTIN DEMPSTER. Has the ABC buckled to PM Malcolm Turnbull by removing critical ‘analysis’ of the claimed benefits of corporate tax cuts?
- MICHAEL KEATING. Trickle down economics and the Emma Alberici article.
- GEOFF MILLER: Trump and Turnbull must recognise that China is not going away. 22 February 2018
- PETER MARTIN. Relax, there’s no need to follow Trump on company tax – yet 22 February 2018
- RICHARD BUTLER. Turnbull and Trump: Meeting of Mates 22 February 2018
- GILES PARKINSON. SA Labor shoots for 75% renewables, 25% storage target 22 February 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. The Liberals and the Nationals – Malcolm Turnbull and Barnaby Joyce 22 February 2018
- Arts and Reviews (35)
- Defence/Security (708)
- Economy (928)
- Education (176)
- Environment and climate (258)
- Health (439)
- Housing (53)
- Human Rights (376)
- Indigenous affairs (54)
- Industrial relations (32)
- Infrastructure (125)
- International Affairs (1,219)
- Asia (65)
- Links (8)
- Media (458)
- NBN (71)
- Politics (2,186)
- Refugees, Immigration (511)
- Religion and Faith (434)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (58)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (43)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (35)
- Uncategorized (116)