JOHN MENADUE. Pauline Hanson sides with the powerful while pretending to speak for the weak.Mar 22, 2017
Pauline Hanson talks a great deal about battlers and people who are left behind and are fed up with the major parties . But she invariably sides with the wealthy and powerful.
Powerful commercial interests, banks, multinational companies and political apologists for the neo liberal economic system have spawned growing inequality and a sense of alienation around the world .
Yet Pauline Hanson exploits the legitimate concerns of the vulnerable by encouraging us to focus, not on those really responsible for our problems, but those that are even more vulnerable and at risk – the so-called welfare cheats, trade unions, refugees and Muslims. She won’t call out the real culprits. Instead she deliberately appeals to prejudice against the most vulnerable.
Just look at the evidence of how Pauline Hanson panders to the powerful and the wealthy.
- Fairfax newspapers have reported that on issues where the coalition and Labor are divided in the current Senate, One Nation voted with the government 85% of the time.
- On 66 substantial votes on legislation, One Nation voted with the coalition 88% of the time.
- For years, she has contended that penalty rates should be abolished – ‘right across the board, get rid of penalty rates’.
- One Nation voted with the Turnbull government on the double dissolution trigger bills to restore the Australian Building and Construction Commission and the introduction of tough governance standards for the unions.
- She is investigating a 2% Easy Tax Rate. Guess who would be the major beneficiaries of that?
- Pauline Hanson and her adviser James Ashby of ‘slippergate ‘fame were both formerly members of the Liberal Party.
- It was no surprise that she did a preference swap deal with the Liberal Party in WA.
- She sides with conservative climate change deniers and tells us that climate science is ‘indoctrination’. She keeps the polluters happy.
When push comes to shove, One Nation is invariably on the side of the powerful and wealthy. To hide its real agenda, it encourages us to attack the most vulnerable.. That is hardly the behaviour we would expect from a person or a party that says it is acting on behalf of battlers.
The forgetful Arthur Sinodinis tells us that One Nation is now a more sophisticated party. What nonsense! It panders to the powerful and attacks the most vulnerable,. It used to be Asians. Now it is Muslims. Who will be next?