Paul McGeough in the SMH of January 31 draws attention to our dubious links to Middle East countries that have appalling human rights records. Our Governor General, Sir Peter Cosgrove, having given advice to Prime Minister Abbott on a knighthood on Prince Philip decided that he need not be in Australia for Australia Day, but went off to the funeral of the late King of Saudi Arabia. What a strange order of priorities! See link below.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- JOHN MENADUE. The continuing litany of lies on boat arrivals and border protection.
- BRIAN TOOHEY. The man who thought he owned a Prime Minister
- RAMESH THAKUR. Cardinal Pell’s guilty verdict is deeply troubling
- MICHAEL LEAHY. The Catholic Weekly: seeking justice for Pell or waging a culture war?
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. How good is Gladys?
- RAMESH THAKUR. Nuclear arms treaty and umbrella states (Japan Times 12 Sep) 23 September 2019
- TONY SMITH. CEO remuneration and socio-economic decline 23 September 2019
- KEVIN RUDD. Australia destroys its own reputation in the Pacific (East Asia Forum 9-9-19) 23 September 2019
- ABUL RIZVI: Bob Birrell’s War on Partner Visas 23 September 2019
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Government rakes in the tax. 23 September 2019
- Arts and Reviews (52)
- Defence/Security (963)
- Drug Reform (30)
- Economy (1,307)
- Education (270)
- Environment and climate (574)
- Health (644)
- Housing (99)
- Human Rights (463)
- Indigenous affairs (92)
- Industrial relations (37)
- Infrastructure (213)
- International Affairs (2,201)
- Asia (445)
- Links (10)
- Media (619)
- NBN (84)
- Politics (3,541)
- Refugees, Immigration (679)
- Religion and Faith (699)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (61)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (7)
- Tributes (61)
- Uncategorized (227)