Holidaying in Bath, I came across an early example of tax avoidance. A window tax was introduced in the UK in 1696. It was believed to be a progressive tax on the assumption that the wealthy property owners had larger houses and more windows. But the tax avoiders found a way around the problem…fill in the window spaces with masonry and avoid the tax even if it looked very ugly. Wealthy property owners don’t often have good taste or care about neighbours. The tax was abolished in 1851.
Tax avoidance is now largely conducted in secret and the scale of it by such companies as News Corp, Westfield Glencore, Google, Apple and the Big Pharma multinationals puts the tax avoiders in Bath in the shade.
Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI. How the 2017-18 migration program was delivered.
- RICHARD ROBISON. The crisis of the Right in Australia: the liberals are gone and the hard-right can never triumph.
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Morrison shows he is no Einstein
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Morrison drives bus over sincerity.
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Morrison fakes authenticity.
- MICHAEL PASCOE. Fairfax joins the Murdoch sectarian beat-up brigade (The New Daily). 20 November 2018
- JOHN MENADUE. This is a test. 19 November 2018
- CAVAN HOGUE. Where the bloody Hell are You? 19 November 2018
- ANDREW FARRAN. Brexit: The Beginning of the End 19 November 2018
- ALISON BROINOWSKI. The latest hobgoblins. 19 November 2018
- Arts and Reviews (41)
- Defence/Security (840)
- Drug Reform (23)
- economics (3)
- Economy (1,147)
- Education (230)
- Environment and climate (401)
- Health (551)
- Housing (77)
- Human Rights (426)
- Indigenous affairs (70)
- Industrial relations (34)
- Infrastructure (178)
- International Affairs (1,740)
- Asia (287)
- Links (10)
- Media (561)
- NBN (77)
- Politics (2,748)
- Refugees, Immigration (586)
- Religion and Faith (549)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (55)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (40)
- Uncategorized (204)
- MUNGO MacCALLUM. China, The US and the Manus Island naval base. on
- KELLIE MERRITT. Stepping up to the war crease. on
- PETER STANLEY. PM Hughes said ‘I bid you go fight for White Australia in France’- WW1 as the war for White Australia on
- ALISON BROINOWSKI. The latest hobgoblins. on
- JOHN MENADUE- Sacrifice is being politicised. Militarism is becoming the norm. on